Rondevlei Nature Reserve


Rondevlei Nature Reserve was established on 1 January 1952 as the Rondevlei Wild bird Sanctuary.The reserve originally consisted of the Vlei and an additional narrow margin of land, and in 1963 two small areas were added. In 1987, after considerable debate with the housing committee of the Cape Town City Council, a further 98 hectares of dunes and seasonal wetlands to the south of the Vlei were made available to the reserve. Fencing and incorporation of this portion of the reserve took place in 1995. Before the fence was erected around the reserve, the local residents had used the area as a place to graze horses and cattle, for woodcutting, the picking of flowers, and recreation.

<<back to articles